Cool Facts About Lawyers (to Impress Your Friends at Cocktail Parties)
Here's a list of famous people who attended law school (at least partially), but are known for something other than the law.
- Novelist Henry James
- Legendary football coach Vince Lombardi
- Former St. Louis Cardinals skipper Tony La Russa
- The Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek
- 26 of 44 U.S. Presidents including such notables as both Adams, Lincoln, Arthur (oh yes), FDR, and Obama
- Author John Grisham
- "Law & Order" actor and former US Senator Fred Thompson
- "Ozzie and Harriet Show" star Ozzie Nelson (this is an old TV reference for those partners who just can't seem to retire)
- Please let us know if you know of others we can add to the list...
Famous and Not-So-Famous Quotes About Lawyers and the Law
- "Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law." ~ Sophocles
- "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." ~ Robert Frost
- "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough." ~ Abraham Lincoln
- "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client." ~ Anonymous
- "Law is nothing unless close behind it stands a warm living public opinion." ~ Wendell Phillips
- "The good lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency, and qualifies all his qualifications, but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
More Lawyerly Facts to Be Celebrated
According to the American Bar Association there are 1,143,358 active and inactive lawyers in the U.S. (Active or inactive, we still think you're top drawer!)
Every year American lawyers donate, yes donate, hundreds of thousands of hours of their time (i.e. millions of dollars of billable hours) to work on pro bono cases. For those of you who are not familiar with the term pro bono, pro comes from the Latin word "professional" as in sports and bono refers to the lead singer of U2, the legendary Irish rock band. Just kidding. Pro bono means "done without compensation for the public good." And we never seem to hear about this in the media. Hmmm.
More statistics and stories about the lawyerly good deeds are forthcoming. In truth, the research got hung up in legal. But we're sure you're going to love it when we post it!
Please let us know if you have any fun or interesting facts about how lawyers make the world a better place...especially about lawyers outside the USA.
Our friends WeDoWebContent.com made a fantastic infographic about Celebrating Be Kind To Lawyers Day. Check it out here.